[fluka-discuss]: Scoring muons with different ways

From: Tamer Tolba <tamer.tolba_at_uni-hamburg.de>
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2020 17:27:12 +0200

Dear FLUKA experts,

I am scoring muons (and other particles) that are produced from pion
decays, which are produced from 2.5 GeV protons interacting with a Ti
target in the middle of a magnetic focusing horn, at the level of a beam
dump, which is at 25 meter a way from the target.

I use two methods to score the muons:

1- via usrmed.f routine (attached), which scores the number of particles
and their energies at three boundaries; 1- between the decay tunnel and
the beam dump core-front side (i.e. particles entering the beam dump
core), 2- between the beam dump core-back side and the dump back
shielding (i.e. particles passing through/exiting the dump core), and 3-
behind the beam dump.

2- via USRBIN scoring cards.

I used the same *.inp code for both studies, i.e. all nodes are same
except for the Physics and Scoring nodes had to be modified with respect
to the need of each method. To avoid confusion with the large *.inp
file, attached you will find slides showing the main features applied
for each of the two different node.

using the usrmed.f routine I do record some "few tens" muons (with E
_kin < 500 MeV) entering (i.e. boundary #1 above) and some "handful"
exiting (i.e. at boundary #2) the beam dump. While scoring with USRBIN
cards in side the beam dump (in both ways; coordinate and region),
_nothing comes out_. What could be my mistake in scoring via the usrbin?

With my best regards,

Tamer

--
Dr. Tamer Tolba