Re: [fluka-discuss]: problem with FLUKA running

From: Paola Sala <paola.sala_at_mi.infn.it>
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2020 15:47:20 +0200

Hello
It is difficult to help you without having the full information, in
particular the source.f routine, and the exact answer from your system
manager. Random hanging could come from interaction with the file system,
or more generally with the operating system.
If the code is still "running" you can try with gdb
First you have to find the process ID (a number) of your running code: if
you run it interactively (not on a batch queue) you can find it, for
example, with (suppose your custom fluka executable is called myexe
ps ax | grep myexe

then, you can ask
gdb myexe mynumber

and you can discover which instruction is being processed

Regards
Paola
>  Dear experts,
>   I have problems in running jobs for FLUKA,
>   i use 2-step method, at the 2-nd step I use  source.f
>   to run secondary particles (large size !).
>
>   The problem : a lot of times FLUKA is stopped
>         without any comments : it is not finished as usual
>     BUT it is at the hanging state : ...it is waiting something....
>
>   At the 1-st time I asked system manager of our cluster  to look at
> the job
>   the answer was :
>       it is waiting the answer from  "fuip"   .. or at "fuip" (may be
> fiup ....)
>              ... or something like this
>       I do not remember for sure...
>
>   After that I re-run my job and it was finished.
>   But now I using the same large input file and I cannot finish
>   my job : every time FLUKA  get in the "hanging" state
>              at DIFFERENT events (at different LARGE CPU time)
>
>   So, what I should do in this situation ?
>
>                 ------------------
>
>  Additional information :
>
>   cuts for my materials : see my input cards : test3.inp
>    and files :  test3002.err  test3002.out

>  thank you
>  Vladimir

Paola Sala