Re: Biasing particle type

From: Stefan Roesler <sroesler_at_mail.cern.ch>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 00:22:00 +0200

Hi Mitja

The BIASING card allows you to tune region importances for individual
particle types by combining cards with What(1)>=0 and What(1)<0. See Note
2) in the Manual. Did you consider this possibility? Of course, you will
have to split regions in order to divert CPU-time towards your detector.

Cheers
Stefan

On Mon, 13 Oct 2008, Mitja Majerle wrote:

> Dear fluka users,
>
> during the spallation process only 10% of produced particles are protons, and
> most of them are stopped in the target, but I am more interested at protons
> than at neutrons. How do I increase the statistics of my proton USRTRACK
> detectors ?
> I tried to use BIASING with usimbs.f routine, where I set the weight for
> protons to values higher than one:
> IF (JTRACK .EQ. 1) THEN
> FIMP = TWOTWO
> ELSE
> FIMP = ONEONE
> END IF
> RETURN
> But it seems that fluka hangs while initializing the problem. What are the
> alternatives, which is the most effective variance reduction for my example ?
> WW-FACTOR and WW-THRESH could be used ? I know only the simplest method with
> assigning different importances to regions, and it is not useful.
>
> Thank you,

Stefan Roesler
CERN, SC/RP
CH-1211 Geneva 23