Re: [fluka-discuss]: Integrating spectrum in FLUKA? - 3 questions

From: Mauro Valente <mauro.valente_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2021 20:14:11 -0300

Dear Simon,

As I mentioned in a previous message, I am just a customary FLUKA user, so
I recommend to wait for a FLUKA expert point of view.

I may try to point out some basic guidelines, because I have encountered
similar issues.

1.) Where is the file for the default accelerator in FLUKA -it's flukahp,
or not?

To my understanding, flukahp is an internal FLUKA component. Perhaps I did
not properly understand what you meant.

2.) We have the spectrum of another accelerator from Eclipse -it's a xml
file (see the parameters at the after the "UnattenuatedSpectrum" term). Is
there a way to integrate this spectrum in FLUKA? Maybe as a
function/spectrum for the defined beam source in the beam card?

I may suggest to give a look to the concept of phase space. You can
implement user-defined phase spaces to model any desired radiation source.
It is worth mentioning that IAEA has published phase spaces for different
linacs typically used in RT.

3.) Where do we find more information about the default accelerator? Can we
maybe change his spectrum - to the spectrum we want?

What do you mean with "accelerator"? I may wonder if you are considering
the "accelerator" as a "clinical linear accelerator". Knowing the particle
spectrum is a piece of the phase space you may need to model the desired
radiation source. So, that spectrum could be useful if you could
get/approach the rest of the PS information (particle type, position,
directions).

For our Application we need the same spectrum in FLUKA as in Eclipse.

Maybe I did not get it, but keep in mind that FLUKA is not a treatment
planning system but a general purpose Monte Carlo code.

Hope this may help,

Il giorno gio 29 apr 2021 alle ore 19:34 Simon Börger <
simon.boerger_at_tu-ilmenau.de> ha scritto:

> Dear FLUKA Experts,
>
> can maybe someone answer these questions please:
>
> 1.) Where is the file for the default accelerator in FLUKA -it's flukahp,
> or not?
>
> 2.) We have the spectrum of another accelerator from Eclipse -it's a xml
> file (see the parameters at the after the "UnattenuatedSpectrum" term).
> Is there a way to integrate this spectrum in FLUKA? Maybe as a
> function/spectrum for the defined beam source in the beam card?
>
> 3.) Where do we find more informations about the default accelerator? Can
> we maybe change his spectrum - to the spectrum we want?
>
> For our Application we need the same spectrum in FLUKA as in Eclipse.
>

> Many thanks for any help.
>
> Simon Börger

                                                Prof. Mauro Valente, PhD.
                                                         Medical Physics