[fluka-discuss]: Dose equivalent at 100 cm form an isotropic source

From: Raksha Rajput <rakshak_at_britatom.gov.in>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2021 23:33:26 +0530 (IST)

Dear Experts,

I have scored Dose Equivalent at 100 cm from the surface of the shield with an isotropic source at centre - please find attached the input.

I am getting different outputs for different volume of the Cartesian bins used (Cartesian binning in USRBIN) - which seems logical as it is averaged over the volume of the bin - but t he question is - how to decide the correct values ? The statistical errors in all the cases (scores with different volume bins) are less than 5 % - so all are acceptable. Is there any other check to decide the correctness of the output, that the result is more reliable out of many ? Please find attached the .lis files for the scores obtained at 100 cm Left and 100 am Right from the shield.

I also found that near surface the outputs are obtained for 8 cc and 16 cc bin volumes with acceptable statistical error, but at 100 cm the volume of scoring bin has to be bigger, say upto 96cc /128 cc / 400 cc to obtain the expected output. Does the isotropic nature of the source has a role to play here ? Scattering is air outside the shield ?

Please explain.

Thanks and regards,
Raksha.