Re: [fluka-discuss]: How to reduce the statistical errors of results?

From: Paola Sala <paola.sala_at_mi.infn.it>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2021 21:09:36 +0200

Dear Zhiyuan,

There is no general number of particles, it depends on the problem under
consideration.

The number of cycles should be at least 5 because the statistical errors
are evaluated by Fluka when the results from different cycles are
combined, at the end of the runs: the variance is calculated from the
weighted variance among all different cycles from all runs of the same
input . This procedure has no meaning if the number of cycles is too small.

The driving quantity for statistics is the total number of events, the
product Nt = N * Nr *Ns

The random seed does not influence at all the statistical error.

This said, the actual value of the statistical error depends on how many
times a detector receives a signal.

No signal means no statistics even after an infinite number of primaries.

In your case, the 250 MeV proton beam stops a few centimeters before the
end of the target.

Products of proton nuclear interactions will stop before or slighly
after the proton range, within the target,  except for neutrons.

Detectors placed downstream the target, will "see" only the few neutrons
and the even fewer charged hadrons produced by neutron reinteractions. I
doubt that you will ever be able to achieve some statistical
significance on charged hadrons, even using biasing.

Regards

Paola