Re: FLUKA in MPI Environment

From: Chris Theis <Christian.Theis_at_cern.ch>
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2008 01:27:13 +0100

Joel,

> I'm also interested in doing the same thing. I do know that one can
> write a non-MPI FORTRAN program and put in special calls such as
> MPI_INIT, MPI_COMM_RANK, etc. and compile it in a special way that you
> will end up with an MPI version of your program. Can the same thing be
> done with FLUKA? If the answer is 'yes,' where would one put the
> appropriate CALLs?

even though Monte Carlo is a prototypical application for parallel
computing it is not that straightforward. Using these predefined
compiler directives & libs like MPI or OpenMP you can parallelize
software more easily than in the past but there are still a lot of
subtle issues like non-shared memory, race conditions, I/O locks etc.
that need to be addressed. I´m afraid that for complex software like
FLUKA this goes far beyond adding a number of special calls.

What one could do without adapting the source is to use a scheduler/load
balancing system (e.g., Condor) to send multiple individual FLUKA jobs
to a cluster where each node will run its own batch of calculations.

Best regards
Chris
Chris Theis
CERN/SC-RP - European Organization for Nuclear Research
1211 Geneva 23, Switzerland
Phone: +41 22 767 8069 Office: 892-2A-015
e-mail: Christian.Theis_at_cern.ch