Re: [fluka-discuss]: Radiation transport in material includes nanoparticles

From: Mauro Valente <mauro.valente_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2021 12:06:20 -0300

Dear Leena

Although I am not a FLUKA expert, I may share with you my experience with
FLUKA within the framework of nano-particle systems.

According to the specific approach of each Monte Carlo main code, some
issues regarding nano-particle systems would be appropriately assessed or
not. It is worth mentioning that low scale processes might involve specific
features, thus limiting some general approaches. Then, depending on what
specific characteristic/issue are you interested in studying, a particular
MC code might be helpful and reliable. For example, according to my
experience, total XRF emission can be reasonably assessed, as well as
self-absorption effects if you include each one of the nano-particles in
the simulation geometry [https://doi.org/10.1016/j.radphyschem.2019.04.052
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apradiso.2019.06.017]. Of course, any approach
aimed at including the nanoi-particles as bodies in the simulation geometry
uses to be very time and effort consuming for defining the setup. Moreover,
MC main codes allow handling a limited simulation bodies' quantity. Hence,
compared with typical nano-particle based experimental systems, only a
limited nano-particle infused volume can be modelled. Another relevant
issue may be the emission of secondaries, in my experience for dosimetry
purposes the emission of Auger and Koster-Cronig electrons, which may, or
not, be implemented by the different MC main codes.

Anyway, I may suggest waiting for answers from FLUKA experts.

Hope this helps you,

Best regards,

Il giorno gio 9 set 2021 alle ore 05:33 Leena Abdulrahman H B Al-Sulaiti <
leena.alsulaiti_at_qu.edu.qa> ha scritto:

> Dear FLUKA experts,
>

> Does FLUKA code able to simulate radiation transport in a material that
> includes some nanoparticles?
>

> Many thanks
>
> Leena

                                                Prof. Mauro Valente, PhD.