[fluka-discuss]: 66Cu half life problem

From: SEBASTIANO PAOLUCCI <sebastiano.paolucci_at_studenti.unicam.it>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 17:14:03 +0200

Dear Fluka expert,

I’ve tried to calculate the activity of copper isotopes after a proton
irradiation onto a 70Zn enriched target. (see the entire details in the
file .inp attached)

After the EOB (End of bombardment), the activity of all isotopes decays
exponentially, following the respective decay constants. I’ve verified
this, scoring the activities at 2 different times after the EOB
(t=EOB+50000s and t=EOB+200000s).

 The problem appears for the 66Cu isotope: this should decay with a half
life of 5 minutes, and so after only 50000 seconds after the EOB, the
activity should goes to zero. This does not happen. It seems like the half
life of 66Copper is different from 5 minutes. (see _sum.lis file attached)

Furthermore, If you try calculate the decays constants for all the other
copper isotopes involved (only using the activity a t=EOB and one between
the 2 instant t=EOB+50000s or t=EOB+200000s), you obtain a coherent and
correct values of the half lives. Instead, if you try to achieve the half
life of 66Cu through this method, you obtain different results if you use
t=EOB+50000s or t=EOB+200000s: respectively 2 hours and 7.5 hours of half
life. (that are however wrong values)

I do not understand how to solve this problem.

Thanks.

Sebastiano