[fluka-discuss]: Questions about Cherenkov light

From: 吴亚龙 <wuyalong_at_sinap.ac.cn>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 14:50:47 +0800 (GMT+08:00)

Dear Fluka expert,
 Recently, I have tested many Cherenkov light models and found that there are always some problems that cannot be solved and have been bothered for nearly a month.
 During the test process, I found that:
1. Like the source I set in Inp, the generated Cherenkov light will be emitted on the cone at an angle of 60 ° with the beam direction. When I set the refractive index of the material in region 1 to 2 and the material in region 2 to 1, according to Snell’s theory, the critical angle of total reflection at the boundary between regions 1 and 2 is 30 °, which means that all the generated Cherenkov light can pass through the boundary from region 1 to region 2, But I found that at 60 ° (with respect to the space angle is Π) It is found that 40% of the photons enter the void region through the boundary from region 1, which is completely inconsistent with the total reflection theory.
 2.No matter how I change the refractive index n of region 2, 40% of the photons are absorbed and 60% escape. I don’t understand the meaning of absorption,and these 40% of the photons are at 60 ° (space angle Π) Is recorded in usrbdx. When I change the material of region 2 to ‘blackhole’, 100% of the photons escapes, Does that mean that 40% of the photons in the previous case entered region 2 from region 1?
 No matter whether you can put forward a solution to the problem, i would like to express my most sincere thanks!
Attachment is Inp file.