Re: [fluka-discuss]: Problem simulating radioactive decay of isotopes at rest

From: Paola Sala <paola.sala_at_mi.infn.it>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2022 11:22:37 +0200

Dear Emilio,

The problem is in the combination of an ISOTOPE beam with the USRYIELD
cards.  USRYIELD calculates angular quantities with respect to the
direction of the beam, and since some of the quantities can be
calculated with respect to the center-of-mass frame, the code tries to
initialize a center-of-mass momentum, which fails if the beam momentum
is zero.

I have a question and a solution, besides that this specific situation
will be
protected in a next respin

Question: are you sure that you need USRYIELD instead of USRBDX? I
mean, what is the purpose of calculating angles with respect to a
fixed (beam) direction when source and geometry are perfectly
isotropic? Why not to use USRBDX that calculates angles with respect
to the normal to the boundary surface? (see note 1 to the USRYIELD
description in the manual)

Solution, in case you really need USRYIELD: add another USRYIELD card
with SDUM=BEAMDEF (see again note 1) , in order to define a dummy beam
just to initialize the scoring. For instance
USRYIELD      PROTON      1.0         1.        0.        0. 1.0 BEAMDEF

Again from the fluka manual, USRYIELD description:
For SDUM = BEAMDEF:
      WHAT(1) = projectile particle index, or corresponding name
                    Default= IJBEAM (beam particle)
      WHAT(2)= target particle index, or corresponding name (used by the
                    code to define the c.m.s. frame)
                    Default : 1.0 (proton)
      WHAT(3) = projectile momentum
                    Default= PBEAM (beam momentum)
      WHAT(4,5,6) = projectile direction cosines
                    Default = UBEAM, VBEAM, WBEAM (beam direction cosines)

Hope this helps
Paola