Transport of charge ions and energy deposition in micron tosub-micron scales

From: <st05915_at_alfux.uib.no>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 20:02:00 +0100

Dear All,
I need some feedback on a type of simulation I would like to
carry out using fluka. The simuation problem I am working on is
related to Single Event Upsets (SEU) in SRAM based memory cicuits.
The main purpose of the simulation is to see if it is possible to
reproduce the SEU cross section results from irradiation tests of an
SRAM based memory device. And, if this is possible to do using fluka.
The beams of interest are protons of 30 and 150 MeV.

The approach taken is a based on a fairly simple methodology which has
shown to give reasonably good results by others. If this methodology
is still valid with the decreasing feature sizes of modern
semiconductor devices, is a separate discussion. For now I therefore
assume that the below described RPP methodology is valid for my case.

An SEU can be defined as a bitflip in a memory cell caused by charge
deposited in the sensitive volume of this memory cell by a single
ionizing particle. In order to cause an SEU the charge deposited
(Qdep) must be larger than a given critical charge (Qcrit)associated
with the memory cell. In a chip of millions of memory cells not every
memory cell is identical and thus the Qcrit is not 1 value, but a
distribution of values.

The methodology is based on describing the sensitive volume of a
memory cell as a rectangular parallelpided volume (RPP). Simplified,
by simulating the charge deposited within this volume and comparing
the result to the distribution of Qcrit, the number of SEUs generated
equals the number of charge depositions larger than the Qcrit.

To do this in fluka I have tried to build a geometry that in a
best possible way represents the real structure of a typical
chip. To simplify, I assume that the memory cells are evenly
distributed over the full chip in a periodic fashion. Only a small
sample of the real size is therefore used. The area is approx. 100 x
100 um and the thickness is approximately 1400 um. In the fluka
simulation setup the thickness is along the z-axis/beam axis. A simple
schematic of the geometry is shown below.

                    ------> Z
        450um 850um 1um 9um 100um
      | | |*| | |
      | | |*| Inter | |
p--> |Cu Lid |Si substracte |*| connect| Package | 100um
      | | |*| layers | substrate |
      | | |*| | |

The layer denoted by stars are where the memory cells are located in
the chip. That is, this is the area where the scoring of deposited
charge should take place. Just after, alternating layers of
copper interconnect wires and dielectric follow. At the end is the
package substrate which in some cases consists of a flip chip solder
bump (Sn/Pb mixture).

I do not have the detailed layout of the chip and in particular the
interconnect layers. I therefore base my geometry on a simple
structural examination of the chip. This has allowed me to retrieve
for instance the thickness of each interconnect layer, but not the
detailed layout of the copper wiring. Due to the periodic nature of
the chip I again assume that the fraction of copper wires is evenly
distributed. I therefore assign a fraction(0-100%) of copper to
dielectric (SiO2) in each layer. A typical copper wire thickness in my
case is approx. 0.5 um thick. To accommodate this granularity I have
utilized the Voxel geometry available in Fluka to build the different
layers. Each layer contains a number of copper voxels corresponding to
the fraction of copper assigned for that layer. The Voxels are
randomly distributed in each layer. For now this seems to be the best
solution I can come up with when the layout information is not known.
To some extent I believe this approach should
caputure the granularity of the interconnect layers compared to only
using a uniform layer of a material.

So far this has been a short introduction to my case study. In the
following are more fluka specific issues where feedback will be greatly
appreciated.

To score the deposited charge by a single particle I believe the
EVENTBIN scoring card is appropriate. An advantage of using EVENTBIN
is that by making a mesh of small sized bins, different sizes of
sensitive volumes can be achieved by combining the result from various
bins. This is particulary valuable when the actual size of the
sensitive volume is not known. Instead of implementing different sizes
of the sensitive volumes as geometry, and then running several
simulations for each size, this analysis can rather be done in the
post-processing stage. EVENTBIN scoring is also an easy method to
utilize several sensitive volumes in order to increase the collection
statistics. Because the expected sensitive volume size is close to
0.4 x 0.4 x 1.0 um^3, I would like to use bins of size 0.2 x 0.2 x 0.2
um^3. This means that a single sensitive volume is built of several
bins. The critical charge/energy in my case is in the order of 10 fC
or ~0.2 MeV.

The main suspects to cause an SEU for this device technology are the
highly ionizing fragments produced in inelastic nuclear reactions. In
particular the alpha-particle and residual ion are important.When
produced in an inelastic reaction from a 30 MeV proton on Si, the
typical fragment energy is approx. 5 MeV and below for alpha, and 1
MeV and below in the case of the residual ion (i.e. Mg24). Using SRIM
the corresponding range in Si is found to be approx. <25 um and <1-2
um respectively. Thus, only fragments produced close to the layer of
sensitive volumes will contribute to the SEU rate.

1a) How does fluka treat the residual ion? In the manual it says that
when an ion is below the transport threshold it is ranged out to
rest. Does this mean that if the range crosses a scoring bin, the
energy deposited is calculated as given by slide 18 in
http://www.fluka.org/content/course/NEA/lectures/Transport.pdf
[(dl/dx)*dE]

1b)
Can an ion that is ranged out be scored by using the AUXSCORE card
for HEAVYION combined with EVENTBIN? Or is this only possible when the
particle is transported?

1c) Can a few MeV ion be transported until it has lost all its energy
by reducing the PART-THRES for HEAVYION? From the manual this does not
seem to be true. The limits are given as 10MeV/n and 100MeV/n
for transport of secondary and primary heavy ions
respectively.

However, I still seem to be able do some kind of
transport of a Mg24 ion. But maybe the transport limit is the
reason why I do not understand my resuls. See
information/question further below.

1d) With sub-micron scoring bin size, does fluka still give valid
results for energy deposition? If possible, what type of
physics/transport settings should be used to optimize for this type of
simulation?

Using EVENTBIN scoring increases the simulation time. Also, due to the
low probability of inelastic reactions a large number of primaries are
needed to achieve reasonable statistics. Because the EVENTBIN scoring
writes an entry to the log file for every event, in my case, this
results in log files of several GB. Also the expected simulation time
can reach several days to weeks depending on computer specifications and
wanted statistics.

2a) I understand that it is possoble to score only bins with hits.
However, even if there are no hits, a line giving the event number and
number of hits is still written to the EVENTBIN output. Is there any
way that the latter can be avoided? Is there are reason for writing an
entry for events that have no hits, or is this in fact redundant
information?

In order to minimize this problem I have tried to divide the
simulation in two steps. First I run a simulation to locate all
inelastic reactions and store information about the produced
fragments. This is done by the USDRAW routine in mgdraw.f. By
optimizing the simulation for this task and not using any other
scoring, this reduces the simulation time significantly. However, no
biasing is used since this is not recommended in combination with
EVENTBIN scoring. The optimization is simlply done by minimizing the
transport of all other particles except the primary proton. In the
second step, the source.f routine is used to transport only the
fragments of interest produced in the inelastic reactions and score
them using EVENTBIN. This greatly reduces the size fo the EVENTBIN log
file.

When doing this exercise, I noticed some results that I could not
explain. I therefore need someones feedback on the following
simulation results.

Starting from the right side of the interconnect layers (in the
package substrate) a beam of either 10000 5 MeV alpha-particles or
5e-5 MeV (~1.2MeV/n) Mg24 ions are directed towards the interconnect
layers (negative z-direction).

                          -----> Z
        450um 850um 1um 9um 100um
| | |*| | |
| | |*| Inter | |
|Cu Lid |Si substracte |*| connect| <-- He4 |
| | |*| layers | Mg24 |
| | |*| | |

Two cases are simulated for each beam, one with the voxel geometry
implemented, and one without the voxel geometry but with a layer
of only SiO2 instead.

For the alpha-particle I got what I judge as an expected results. When
the layer contains the voxels of copper more energy is deposited which
in turn slightly decreased the range of the alpha-particle beam.

What I do not understand is that I did not see the same behaviour when
I instead
used a Mg24 beam. Infact, I observed the opposite. The beam
seemed to reach further when the copper voxels were present compared
to when they were not. When only a layer of SiO2 was used the fluence
and energy plot shows a that the beam reaches approx. a few
microns. Compared to what SRIM predicts this sounds reasonable. However, with
the copper voxels in the beam path, the fluence and energy plot
reached almost 15 um.

2b). How can this be? What type of information/knowledge am I lacking
here? Does transport of this low energy heavy ion beam make sense in
Fluka? Could it be related to how I have implemented the Voxel geometry,
eventhough it seems to work reasonable well for the alpha-beam case?

2c) I have used the default 'PRECISION' and enabled transport of heavy
recoils by the EVENTYPE card with What(3)=2. Does the latter option
only apply to a secondary recoil and not if it is a primary source
particle?

2d)I have set the PART-THRES at 1e-6 for
Alpha-particles and HEAVYION. Is this a valid approach or does it not make
sense? Similar type of questions as 1c)

In general, any suggestions or comments on how to deal with the low
energy residual nucleus is of interest.

Some plots showing showing the results can be found here(~50kB):
www.ift.uib.no/~ketil/temp/fluka/plots.tar

The title of the plot indicates the type of simulation.

For instance

HIFluenceUSRBIN_NOVOXEL:
HI= Mg24
FluenceUSRBIN: means 1D plot of the fluence of the particle in the z-axis
NO_VOXEL: means without voxels

He4EnergyUSRBIN_VOXEL
He4:alpha
EnergyUSRBIN: means 2d plot of energy in the y-z plane
VOXEL: means that Voxels are implemented.

An example of the input file for the He4 beam without Voxels can be
found here:
http://web.ift.uib.no/~ketil/temp/fluka/step2He4.inp

An example of the input file for the Mg24 beam with voxels can be found here:
http://web.ift.uib.no/~ketil/temp/fluka/step2HI.inp

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************

Ok, I think I will stop here.

The folders containing all the fluka simulations files can be found here

2 step method (~50MB):
www.ift.uib.no/~ketil/temp/fluka/2stepmethod.tar

Alpha/Mg24 test (~50MB):
www.ift.uib.no/~ketil/temp/fluka/TEST.tar

The python script (ic.py) generating a voxel text file and the
corresponding fluka fortran file (writect.f) to convert it into a
binary file can be found here:
http://web.ift.uib.no/~ketil/temp/fluka/voxel.tar

All comments and suggestions are warmly appreciated. Do not hesitate
to reply even if you can or will only answer one of my many
questions.

Best regards,
Ketil