Re: Low energy - High energy neutron spectrum mismatch with USRTRACK

From: Alberto Fasso' <fasso_at_SLAC.Stanford.EDU>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 08:43:28 -0800 (PST)

Dear Roy,

Anna has already found the reason for the large mismatch between
the low and the high energy range.
Here I would like only to stress that the correct way to plot a spectrum
is differential in energy (n/cm2/GeV), exactly as it is output by
FLUKA, and not n/cm2 as you are trying to do by multiplying each
bin value by its energy width.
Multiplying by the bin width doesn't give you a spectrum, but a histogram
where the physical information of each bin is its area and not its
height: so you cannot get any insight by looking at the bin heights.
The bin heights are irrelevant, since they depend on the bin widths,
which are arbitrary.

Alberto

--
Alberto Fasso`
SLAC-RP, MS 48, 2575 Sand Hill Road, Menlo Park CA 94025