Re: Proton stopping powers in water

From: Giuseppe Battistoni <Giuseppe.Battistoni_at_mi.infn.it>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 13:39:26 +0100 (CET)

Dear Dan
sorry for the delay in the answer.
Actually it is true that the work that you quoted was not yet included
in the general FLUKA distribution.
FLUKA developers did not make any progress in this respect for different
reasons:
a) ICRU tables are for a given material, also compounds (take water):
in order to use those tables, FLUKA should recognize that the material
that the user calls WATER (or whatever) is really "water" and that the
different atoms (elements) that build such compound really belong to such
a molecule.
b) There is an issue that people is debating at present: ICRU tables are
using as ionization potential for water 75 eV. Now there are claims that
this value has to be increased. Before starting the work needed by
previous point a) we are waiting for a this thing to be settled to avoid
to redo the work many times
c) we evaluated that the region where you find differences gives a
negligible contribution in terms of range of particles, and that therefore
there is no significant effects in most of the problems we are treating
and in particular for particle therapy. I admit thet there could be some
exception for very particular tasks.

        Best regards
                Giuseppe