AW: SimpleGeo issues

From: Chris Theis <Christian.Theis_at_cern.ch>
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 16:03:15 +0200

Ali,
> 1) I want to use a torus in my model, but exporting to Fluka is not
> possible.

Fluka doesn't support tori. That's why their export is not supported as
it wouldn't make any sense. The same holds true for other bodies like
platonic solids which are included in SimpleGeo but not supported in
FLUKA either.

> 2) Sometimes exporting a model to mcnp is not completely possible,
> because the exported *.m file mixes between the use of numerals and
> names for regions and bodies.

Could you please provide me with an example file where this problem
shows up. So far this issue has never been observed yet. Thus, I would
have to investigate what could be the reason in your case.

> 3) I wrote a macro to create a union of an array of cylinders, but
> fails to "AddToUnion" with recieving this message:

It seems that there is an internal problem in the macro compiler which
I'll have to look into. However, for the moment you can use the
AddToJunctionNode function instead which will do the job. I've added a
corrected version of your macro in the attachment.

> However the script manipulation window is not delicious ;-(

Whether a window can be regarded as delicious or not is probably a
discussion of art & taste, but I willingly admit that the macro editor
in SG is kept simple. Considering the plethora of full-blown
text-editors that can be found all over the internet, I hardly feel
prompted to waste my time implementing another text-editor. However,
you're kindly invited to contribute an implementation if you want.
Otherwise you can edit your macros in whatever editor of your choice and
then copy it into the SG macro window.

> It can not be maximized. Undo-redo is not possible. Ctrl-A don't
> selects all of the written script, etc...

Undo/Redo, selection of all the text, copy/cut/paste etc. it's all
there. Like in any other text-editor you have to press the right mouse
button to get the context-menu where you will find all those options.

Let me add another personal remark - a discussion list is usually a
forum where people are voluntarily spending some of their time to help
others with their problems. Thus, adding words or phrases of courtesy to
one's requests, like please for example, is usually very much
appreciated by all parties involved.

With kind regards
Chris

________________________________

1) I want to use a torus in my model, but exporting to Fluka is not possible.
See the *.dat model, and the error message of SG kernel in the attachment (torus.zip)
2) Sometimes exporting a model to mcnp is not completely possible, because the exported
*.m file mixes between the use of numerals and names for regions and bodies.
3) I wrote a macro to create a union of an array of cylinders, but fails
to "AddToUnion" with recieving this message:
Argument not optional: "AddToUnion"
See my macro in the attachment.
However the script manipulation window is not delicious ;-(
It can not be maximized. Undo-redo is not possible. Ctrl-A don't selects all of the
written script, etc...
Cheers

Ali Koosha