RE: FLAIR projections and statistical error

From: Santana, Mario <msantana_at_SLAC.Stanford.EDU>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 09:42:48 -0800

Roger,

By increasing the size of your voxel (either achieved by augmenting the
transverse dimensions or be longitudinal, or both) the PRECISION of your results
will usually increase (more 'hits'), but it may happen at the expense of the ACCURACY.
For example, if you want to obtain a sharp peak value accurately, you should try to
keep your bin size as small as possible. In your case I'd advise you to make a plot on
the beam direction, so that you know if the profile is roughly constant in that range or
if it has a strong Z dependence.

If the first is true (~constant) then you are OK
If the latter was true (~strong Z function), then going for thicker bins is
  probably not a good idea, and since your statistics is not so good, I'd try the following:
1) run more histories, or send more parallel jobs
2) make a more efficient CPU usage, i.e. use biasing (for regions, reactions,
etc. set blackhole outside the zone of interest,...)
3) Combine all the techniques above, plus adjust bin dimensions in all directions,
making some compromise among accuracy, precision and CPU time.

By the way, you mention that you used the symmetry of the irradiation. Was it through planes?
Remember that you can also define usrbin in cylindrical coordinates (r,Z),
there you'd still gain a big factor with respect of a rectangular usrbin with symmetry planes.

Good luck

Mario