Re: FLUKA Update Installation

From: Devesh Raj <draj_at_barc.gov.in>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2011 11:01:57 +0530

Dear Phil,
I am a FLUKA user with expertise similar to you and waiting for
FLUKA2010 release. I am telling you my understanding such that I am also
get corrected in due course.

>I note that an updated version of FLUKA (2010) is about to be released.

FLUKA2010 will be a big leap as far as source definition and geometry
modeling is concerned and will be a great help for new user who do not
know how to write source routines for simple volume distributed sources.
Complex sources may still require to write complex source routines even
in FLUKA2010. I hope FLUKA 2010 and FLUPIX with FLUKA 2010 will be
released soon.

>does it install over the existing FLUKA installation on my machine, or
do I have to uninstall the old version first?

As far as FLUKA installation is concerned it is limited to $FLUPRO, that
is the directory you have defined for the fluka. (The installation is
not like the usual windows installation).
Just removing the directory $FLUPRO is required for the un-installation.

FLUKA has time bound release and once a new release comes you CAN NOT
use old release. You will get error message while running old release.
So as soon as you get informed that new release has come you should
switch to that. ( Dear Experts Please correct me if I am wrong)

Running FLUKA via FLUPIX is great help. (In fact I have used FLUKA via
FLUPIX only. I have not been able to install FLUKA+FLAIR together till
now. One of the reason was lack of direct internet access to the OS
resulting in inability to look for the required packages).

According to my knowledge if you have FLUPIX ISO and two hard disk
images you can install FLUPIX in any version of virtual box. User
interface may change but all fundamental utility will be some where.
you just look for it. if you still feel uncomfortable you can download
any older version of Virtual box. All the older versions are available
for download on following page.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_virtualbox/

I am still using virtualbox 3.1.4.r....and do not intend to change
virtual box to latest version till new release of FLUPIX though I will
for the test purpose if u specifically ask for.

I hope it helps you and also so hope to know many things myself.

Regards,

Devesh Raj