Re: EMFCUT: production thresholds overrides transport thresholds

From: Alberto Fasso' <fasso_at_mail.cern.ch>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 20:05:52 +0200

To all users on the discussion list:

It was I who suggested to George to ask that question on the production and
transport thresholds, because I did not know the answer myself. In the
meantime
I have contacted privately Alfredo Ferrari and I got the answer.

It is not a bug: the slide 7 of the lecture on Ionization and Transport
of the
last FLUKA course, that George cited, was referring to heavy particles only,
not to electrons. For electrons, it is not possible to have a production
threshold higher than the transport threshold: when this happens, the
program modifies the transport threshold making it equal to the production
one.
It is different for protons, muons and other heavy charged particles:
for them the production threshold (set by the DELTARAY command) can be
higher than the transport threshold (set by PART-THR), and the transport
below the delta-ray threshold is done by unrestricted dE/dx and ionization
fluctuations.

The reason for this difference is that in Moller scattering it is not
possible, after the scattering, to distinguish the incoming electron from
the produced electron. And even in Bhabha scattering by positrons, it
can happen that the secondary electron gets more energy than the
incoming positron.

I will add this information in the manual.

Alberto