Re: Low Residual Nuclei output

From: Paola Sala <paola.sala_at_mi.infn.it>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2011 08:47:34 +0200 (CEST)

Dear S. Chatterjee,

Your problem scared us..but fortunately it is a problem of "labelling",
and is solved by changing the what(1) field in the RESNUCLEI card.

This may be relevant to other users, please read the explaination:

Yes, something changed in the last version, and we forgot to document it
in the release notes, sorry.

The change is in the low energy neutron treatment, and has a consequence
on how residual are flagged:

In FLUKA2011, the 4-He and 6-Li from neutron capture on 10-B are
explicitely generated and transported like all secondaries from inelastic
interactions, and become indistinguishable from all other interaction
secondaries..This is independent on the choice made for ion transport.
  As a consequence, when they stop they are scored as residuals from
inelastic interactions, not as residuals from low energy neutrons.

If you change what(1) in the RESNUCLEI card from 2.0 ( low-energy neutron
residuals) to 3.0 ( all residuals) you'll get back all the 4-He you need.

Warning, valid already for fluka2008: the SAME treatment, and "labelling",
applies to protons pronuced in (n,1H) reactions and in (n,14-N) reactions.
If the pointwise treatment is activated, the same applies also to all
products from n reactions on 6-Li.

For your specific case, the new treatment of 10-B may be very useful,
since now you can not only count alphas, but also, if you wish, simulate
their energy deposition and containment in the detectors.

Best regards
Paola