Re: On biasing

From: Paola Sala <paola.sala_at_mi.infn.it>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 15:48:39 +0200 (CEST)

Dear Beatrice
sorry, but I do not have brilliant, or even simple, ideas for your case.
If I understand correctly your geometry, your region of interest is on the
surface of the shielding, directly in front of the target. seen the beam
energy, I assume that the beam is stopped in the target.
Therefore, you do not have a deep penetration problem, where the biasing
card (or equivalent) would be useful.
  By the way, how the biasing card is used in your input is meaningless:
importanmce biasing works by splitting ok killing particles according to
the relative importance of regions: if all regions have the same
importance nothing happens.
My only suggestion is to try to speed up the problem: use higher e.m.
thresholds in regions far from the scoring one, use a thinner shielding or
use biasing to kill particles that travel deep in the shield.
Ciao
Paola

> Dear Fluka experts,
> I would like to put forward a problem in biasing. My problem
> is in attachment: the geometry is a concrete room around a UC2
> target. Near the point of coordinates (400, 500, 370) a small portion
> of the concrete shielding is created at a mesoscale: aggregates and
> paste. Results of neutron flux and energy deposition are reported as
> well. I guess with biasing I can better my results, that is I can get
> no more neutron tracks but more homogeneous contours; which biasing
> technique should I apply? I tried to use the card but maybe you can
> suggest which is the most suitable way to do that because I am not
> that expert on biasing results.
> Thank you for your help,
> my best regards,
> Beatrice

> Ing. Beatrice Pomaro
>
> Universita' degli Studi di Padova
> Dipartimento di Costruzioni e Trasporti
> Via F. Marzolo, 9 - 35131 Padova (Italy)
> tel.: +39 049 8275605
> e-mail: pomaro_at_dic.unipd.it

Paola Sala
INFN Milano