Fwd: Re: Dosimetry simulations : composition of materials of interest and results ?

From: <fasso_at_SLAC.Stanford.EDU>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 14:52:41 +0200

Sebastien,

if you have charged particle equilibrium, the density of the material
is not critical.
Fano's theorem: In a medium of homogeneous atomic composition where is present
a primary uncharged radiation field of constant energy fluence, the energy
fluence of the secondary charged particles is also constant and independent of
medium density.
Qualitative proof: the number of secondaries released in volume element is
proportional to the material density, while their average range is inversely
proportional to it. Therefore their energy fluence (total energy-weighted path
length per cm3) is independent of density.
This is the reason why you can have a ionization chamber with walls having the
same composition as the filling gas, but of course much larger density.

I am not sure that this can help you, but if you can ensure charged particle
equilibrium (for instance wrapping the dosimeters with some material of
approximately the same composition) perhaps you can solve your problem.
In any case, you can do a test with FLUKA, simulating this situation
with different densities.

Meilleures salutations,

Alberto

--
Alberto Fasso`
SLAC-RP, MS 48, 2575 Sand Hill Road, Menlo Park CA 94025