RE: Random seed (RANDOMIZE)

From: Chris Theis <Christian.Theis_at_cern.ch>
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2011 14:11:32 +0000

Dear colleagues,

after having been publicly labelled as being naive, I'm somewhat mildly
surprised that there was no answer yet to my, presumably na=EFve,
question why in times of multi-core chips, to be found in phones, iPads,
i-whatever, it is still the user's responsibility to manually initiate &
distribute runs in parallel. Therefore, I'd kindly like to re-ask this
question.

Given the fact that even Excel provides parallelization on multi-core
chips and that there is a popular and widely cited statement among
well-renowned mathematicians that Monte Carlo is "embarrassingly
parallel" I assume that this has been a deliberate design
decision/philosophy in the case of FLUKA and I would be interested to
learn the reasoning behind.

I appreciate your help and in expectance of your answer I remain with
kind regards
Chris