Re: Energy deposited greater that incident energy for neutron?

From: Alberto Fasso' <fasso_at_mail.cern.ch>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 16:59:12 +0200

Denis,

in a 27 m3 scintillator you get a lot of thermal neutrons.
A thermal neutron of energy 1.e-2 eV is easily captured by 10B in Boron,
emitting an alpha particle, a 7Li nucleus and a gamma ray: the total energy of
the reaction is 2.8 MeV.
There is nothing wrong in the fact that E_deposited > E_initial: it will
happen every time you have an exoenergetic reaction.

By the way, that reaction in 10B is the base of BNCT (Boron Neutron Capture
Therapy), where you use the large local energy deposition to destroy a tumor.

Alberto