Re: Understanding EMF-CUT and residual dose rate

From: Stefan Roesler <sroesler_at_mail.cern.ch>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 19:08:28 +0100

Dear Mina

1) Please see the manual under EMFCUT Notes 1) and 2) which give some hint
on the default settings. As Note 2) explains the actual settings can be
found in the output file (search for 'Ecut' and 'Pcut').

2) Yes any modification factors defined with RADDECAY/WHAT(5) apply to the
EMFCUT settings.

Cheers
Stefan

Re: Understanding EMF-CUT and residual dose rate
From: Mina Nozar <nozarm_at_triumf.ca>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 11:58:12 -0700
I just realized I attached the wrong file with this message. Here is the
correct plot showing residual dose rates for
six targets (separate runs and fluka setups) as a function of time in a
cylindrical detector a meter away from the beam
line. When comparing does rates for a given target at a given cooling time
(1.2 years after EOB), we are seeing a
factor of 2 less in dose rates from FLUKA than those measured at the same
time. I am still trying to figure out why
this is.
I have tested few other runs where I don't include an EMFCUT card. The
results are the same as the time when I did not
specify a region for the 20 keV transport card. Confirming this by looking
at the echoed input in the output files,
this means the default behaviour as stated in the manual is not correct:
  WHAT(4) = lower bound (or corresponding name) of the region indices with
  electron cutoff equal to |WHAT(1)|
and/or photon cutoff equal
to WHAT(2) and/or leading particle biasing
  ("From region WHAT(4)...") Default: = 2.0.
i.e. not defining any lower and upper bound regions for transport energy
cut-offs in the EMFCUT card, does not set the
lower and upper bound regions to the 2nd region in the drop down menu (on
the list of Regions) and the EMFCUT is simply
not applied.
What I still do not understand are:
1) How are the default decay and prompt transport energy cut-offs
determined if one does not use an EMFCUT card. My
results show that the default energy cut-off does not come from PART-THRES
(10 MeV) in NEW-DEFA.
and
2) Do the decay and prompt cuts in RADDECAY card use the transport cut as
defined in the EMFCUT card?
I would appreciate if one of the FLUKA gurus could shed some light on
this.
Thanks again,
Mina