Re: Understanding EMF-CUT and residual dose rate

From: <nozarm_at_triumf.ca>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 08:47:15 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Francesco,

Another quit note on region setting in the EMFCUT.

As I mentioned in my earlier messages, the default region setting of #2 is
not working through flair. So if one does not choose any region for "Reg"
or "to Reg", there is no regions selected.

This is not a big deal since even this default setting is not what the
user should be using if he/she intends that the transport and production
cuts be properly applied.

Best wishes and thank you again,
Mina

> [...]

>> S(q,Z) = T, Pz(q,Z) = F
>>
>> Now, I see a total energy cut of 0.512 MeV for e+/e- and 20 keV for
>> photons which sounds about right.
>>

>> In summary: Ecut (MeV) Pcut (MeV)
>>
>> 1st try 1.5110E+00 3.3333E-01 No
>> EMFCUT (effectively)
>>
>> 2nd try
>> EMFCUT (20 keV transport for e+/e-& g) 1.5110E+00 2.0000E-02
>>
>> 3rd try
>> EMFCUT (20 keV tran.& prod. for e+/e-& g) 5.1200E-01 2.0000E-02
>>

>> It is clear that setting the production cut for both e+/e- is essential
>> if
>> the transport cuts are lower than the production cuts. But this is not
>> the case for gammas.
>>
>> It is not clear to me where the default production cut for gammas
>> (3.3333e-1 MeV) comes. In NEW-DEFAults, the default transport cut is
>> set
>> to 10 MeV. As I understand it, this cut applies to all particles,
>> unless
>> changed via EMFCUT card for e+/e-, and gammas and via LOW-NEUT card for
>> neutrons.
>>
>> At the end of the day, the difference between the 3rd and 1st try in
>> terms
>> of dose rates 5 years after EOB is about 9% increase for the 3rd try
>> (which is not much).
>>

>> Thank you and best wishes,
>> Mina
>>

>>> Dear Mina
>>>
>>> 1) Please see the manual under EMFCUT Notes 1) and 2) which give some
>>> hint
>>> on the default settings. As Note 2) explains the actual settings can be
>>> found in the output file (search for 'Ecut' and 'Pcut').
>>>
>>> 2) Yes any modification factors defined with RADDECAY/WHAT(5) apply to
>>> the
>>> EMFCUT settings.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Stefan
>>>

>>> Re: Understanding EMF-CUT and residual dose rate
>> ]
>>> From: Mina Nozar<nozarm_at_triumf.ca>
>>> Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 11:58:12 -0700
>>> I just realized I attached the wrong file with this message. Here is
>>> the correct plot showing residual dose rates for
>>> six targets (separate runs and fluka setups) as a function of time in a
>>> cylindrical detector a meter away from the beam
>>> line. When comparing does rates for a given target at a given cooling
>>> time
>>> (1.2 years after EOB), we are seeing a
>>> factor of 2 less in dose rates from FLUKA than those measured at the
>>> same
>>> time. I am still trying to figure out why
>>> this is.
>>> I have tested few other runs where I don't include an EMFCUT card. The
>>> results are the same as the time when I did not
>>> specify a region for the 20 keV transport card. Confirming this by
>>> looking
>>> at the echoed input in the output files,
>>> this means the default behaviour as stated in the manual is not
>>> WHAT(4) = lower bound (or corresponding name) of the region indices
>>> with
>>> electron cutoff equal to |WHAT(1)|
>>> and/or photon cutoff equal
>>> to WHAT(2) and/or leading particle biasing
>>> ("From region WHAT(4)...") Default: = 2.0.
>>> i.e. not defining any lower and upper bound regions for transport
>>> energy cut-offs in the EMFCUT card, does not set the
>>> lower and upper bound regions to the 2nd region in the drop down menu
>>> (on
>>> the list of Regions) and the EMFCUT is simply
>>> not applied.
>>> What I still do not understand are:
>>> 1) How are the default decay and prompt transport energy cut-offs
>>> determined if one does not use an EMFCUT card. My
>>> results show that the default energy cut-off does not come from
>>> PART-THRES
>>> (10 MeV) in NEW-DEFA.
>>> and
>>> 2) Do the decay and prompt cuts in RADDECAY card use the transport cut