Re: Understanding EMF-CUT and residual dose rate

From: Alberto Fasso' <fasso_at_SLAC.Stanford.EDU>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 06:52:26 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Mina,

to complete the information that Francesco has already sent to you,
I would like to add the following.

* To some people (including myself) it is more natural to input electron
    threshold kinetic energies rather than total energies. It is possible to do
    so by giving the threshold values with a minus sign in the WHAT(1) of command
    EMFCUT

* There are two different electron and photon thresholds:
    - transport threshold, given _per region_ (command EMFCUT with SDUM blank)
    - production threshold, given _per material_ (command EMFCUT with
      SDUM=PROD-CUT)
    It is recommended to define explicitely both, because the defaults are not
    always reliable (read Note 1 to EMFCUT).
    Except in special cases, it is safe to set both thresholds at the same
    value (read Note 2 to EMFCUT).

* Command DELTARAY, also mentioned in your message, concerns only charged
    particles heavier than electrons (protons, pions, muons, heavy ions etc.)
    In the case of electron and positron transport, "delta rays" are called
    Moller and Bhabha electrons, and their production threshold is defined by
    EMFCUT with SDUM=PROD-CUT as explained above.

* In case of doubt, it is useful to check on output which values have been set.
    Production thresholds are called Ae (for electrons) and Ap (for photons),
    and are found in a Table with title "Quantities/Biasing associated with each
    media:".
    Transport thresholds are called Ecut (for electrons) and Pcut (for photons),
    and are found in a Table with title "Correspondence of regions and EMF-FLUKA
    material numbers and names:"
    Ecut and Ae are always output as _total_ energy.
    When examining the output with Flair, you find Ae and Ap in the section
    called "Media parameters", and Ecut, Pcut in the following section, "EMF".

Alberto

--
Alberto Fasso`
SLAC-RP, MS 48, 2575 Sand Hill Road, Menlo Park CA 94025