RE: Re: Can FLUKA (or flair ) be used to caculate region volumes?

From: Jean-Emmanuel Groetz <jegroetz_at_univ-fcomte.fr>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 17:16:34 +0200

Alberto,

Here is the part (as attachment) of the MCNP4C2 documentation related to
the calculation of volumes. You will find at the end the ray-tracing
method for stochastic volume.

On the MCNPX forum, I just find a similar trick (from Sergio
Korochinsky), which follows below :

Consider a spherical cell.
F4 tallies the total track length in the cell.
Before printing out, MCNP normalizes it with the VOLume of the cell
and
the NPS in order to approximate the average flux in the cell.
Now consider this:
1- If the material is VOID, there is no interaction of the particle
within the cell and the track lengths are actually cords of the cell.
2- If the flux at your spherical surface is ISOTROPIC, the track
lengths
go from any point on the sphere to any other point on the sphere, and
therefore every possible cord is sampled.
3- Dividing the total track length (sumation of all the cords
uniformly
sampled) by NPS gives you the average cord of the sphere, which is
equal
to 4*vol/sur = 4*r/3. To get this in the print out you must avoid
dividing the tally by the volume of the cell (which in any case you
don't
know!).
4- If you artificially renormalize the tally multiplying it by pi*r^2,
the tally gives you the volume of the sphere!
5- I leave it for you, as an exercise, to demonstrate that if this is
valid for the sphere then it's also valid for any body included in the
sphere.

So, to implement the method you have to:
1- Use the card VOID and set all the importances to 1 (any internal
region with imp=0 would create an artificial "absorption" and
therefore
cut the cord).
2- Create an inward cosine current at the spherical surface source.
3- Set the volume of the tally to 1, either with the cards VOL or SD.
4- Renormalize the tally by pi*r^2 either with the cards FM or wgt in
SDEF.

Jean-Emmanuel Groetz
Laboratoire Chrono-Environnement UMR CNRS 6249
Chimie-Physique & Rayonnements
Université de Franche-Comté
16 route de Gray
25030 Besançon Cedex