RE: definition of liquid hydrogen?

From: REDDELL, BRANDON D. (JSC-EV511) <brandon.d.reddell_at_nasa.gov>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2012 11:10:52 -0500

Thank you for the help with the H2 definition in FLUKA. The problem I am still having is that it is well known that liquid hydrogen shielding drastically lowers dose. In the case that I am running, I am only seeing an ~18% reduction from what aluminum shielding provides. I've attached the two cases. Both cases have approximately the same shielding mass (~55 g/cm2). Whether I run a spectrum of protons (like the GCR protons) or mono-energetic beam of around 1 GeV, I get similar results. Other data shows that the reduction should be ~90% or so. Is there something wrong with either my input file or the definition of the material still? If, these input files are correct, then the secondary particles that FLUKA generates contribute 4-5x more than the beam particles (at this shielding thickness)..which suggests the effectiveness of the liquid hydrogen shielding isn't as great as thought to be.

Brandon