Re: Neutron fluence in spallation reaction

From: Mary Chin <mary.chin_at_cern.ch>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 19:24:04 +0200

Hai Guojun,

I understood from your original e-mail that you are looking for
double-differential 2D binning in position and energy. There are different
ways of doing it:

1. Using fluscw, which is nicely explained in:
http://www.fluka.org/web_archive/earchive/new-fluka-discuss/2642.html

and is straight-forward. It is also documented in FLUKA Manual Section
13.2.6. This should work readily, although not too elegant (because to
change the bin size one would need to change the USRBIN cards, the number
of USRBIN cards, as well as fluscw.f).

2. In principle it would be nice to bin on-the-fly as:
array[1+energy/ebin][1+r/rbin]
or even
array[1+energy/ebin][1+x/xbin][1+y/ybin]/[1+z/zbin]
if one is not daunted by memory and data explosions.

This is simple for scoring fluence crossing a boundary (just intercept
ENTRY USRBDX in mgdraw). For scoring scoring fluence in a region, however,
there is no ready way by which the user can access the value of the
fluence itself (as opposed to its coefficient, which is available in
fluscw).

3. It is possible to calculate the fluence via a user routine, so that the
above on-the-fly binning may be applied. This is *not* recommended, at
least until one is able to reproduce confidently built-in USRBIN scoring
under normal conditions (i.e. without double-differentiating by position
and energy). This is *not* straight-forward and would be at one's own
risk. In any case you would need to pair your scoring with a built-in
standard scoring (USRBIN or USRTRACK) and verify that the two agree at
every opportunity for comparison.

:) mary