Re: Optical photons

From: Paola Sala <paola.sala_at_mi.infn.it>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2012 12:23:39 +0200 (CEST)

Hello Joe
a late answer..
no, there is no competition. I just checked, enabling both cere and scint
gives the sum of the optical photons generated in the two processes.
However, the yield of cherenkov photons can b very small with respect to
scintillation ones, to the point of being undetectable.
Ciao
Paola
> I am studying the propagation of optical photons through a CsI(pure)
> detector crystal, for both high-energy photons and other particles (e.g.,
> neutrons), to look at timing distributions as they go out the end.
>
> A question. Is there a priority between Cherenkov production and
> scintillation? In a test case, each process alone produces different
> numbers of exiting optical photons. But if both processes are 'on,' the
> results are the same as for scintillation alone. Both processes are
> focussed on the 315-nm line, the maximum of the distribution.
>
> Joe Comfort

Paola Sala
INFN Milano
tel. Milano +39-0250317374