Material Sand for well logging problems

From: Carolin Pezenka <carolin.pezenka_at_student.tu-freiberg.de>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 09:27:34 +0200

Dear FLUKA and FLAIR experts,

I want to model the behavior of low energy neutrons in a matrix of
Sand with different porosity for calibration of a neutron logging
tool. In previous discussions I couldn't find any help for this. My
idea was to define the material similar to concrete. The following
cards are suggested for pure quartzsand (SiO2) with air filled
porespace of 40 %:

MATERIAL 1.6 Sand
COMPOUND -.2 SILICON -.4 OXYGEN -.4 AIRSand

I am not sure, that I really understood the background, how Fluka
build the material from this input. Is this really a good
approximation for sand? I mean, does the structure and spatial
distribution of the SiO2 and the air doesn't care? Which type of
fraction (atom/mass/volume) is to use? Are there other or better
possibilities to get a sand matrix?

Furthermore, is there anybody dealing with geophysical well logging
problems to get in contact and discussion with?

Best regards
Carolin