Re: Documentation on SPECSOUR

From: Stefan Roesler <sroesler_at_mail.cern.ch>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2012 20:24:38 +0200

Dear Samuel

The cross sections for non-elastic processes are calculated by DPMJET
during initialization and the particle production processes (e.g., various
diffractive processes) are simulated accordingly. Only relative
probabilities for certain processes matter in the FLUKA simulations of LHC
collisions and, thus, I think cross section values (in mb) are not printed
explicitely.

If they are of interest, you could run DPMJET standalone where cross
sections are listed in the output. Note that the inelastic cross section
predicted by DPMJET for LHC energies is somewhat higher (10-15%) than
measured by CMS/ATLAS. However, as only relative probabilities matter this
discrepancy has no impact on the simulation in FLUKA. Thus, depending on
your problem, it could be better to use the measured value for overall
normalization.

The Glauber cross sections that you quote are not obtained with DPMJET.

Cheers
Stefan