Re: Activation and dose rate in concrete in 40 years.

From: Mina Nozar <nozarm_at_triumf.ca>
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2012 16:01:37 -0700

Hello Alberto and Mary,

Thank you for your replies.

My question is in regards to a new project, namely shielding assessment for a vault/target area holding a 24 MeV
cylotron, with multiple beamlines, targets, beam intensities and profiles.

I am sorry but my question was not stated correctly. Turns out the CNSC would like to have an overview of the
radiological state of the cyclotron room at the time of decommission, (30-40 years after the operation). So mainly long
lived activation in concrete (Eu-152, Eu154, Co-60, Cs-134, Ba-133).

Am I correct to say that I the limitation of 20 irradiation time intervals (via IRRPROFI cards) is for older versions of
FLUKA? Looking through the manual for 2011.2.13, I don't see this anywhere. All I see (under section 7.36: IRRPROFi),
is note 1:

"Several cards can be combined up to the desired number of irradiation intervals."

So, is there an unlimited irradiation time intervals that a user can set (not that I am going to go through the trouble
of setting time intervals such as (2 hours/per irradiation * 2x daily) for a total of 1000 hours per year for 30 years
for a particular target for instance).

Thank you,
Mina