Re: Explanation of the results- FLUKA input file patch

From: Stefan Roesler <sroesler_at_mail.cern.ch>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 15:48:05 +0100

Dear Dr. M. Jami

Before discussing physics there are a two technicalities to clarify:

- your poly is surrounded by a 100m radius *air* sphere. Of course, the
scoring of secondaries that you refer to is mostly secondaries created in
this air volume, not in the poly

- your beam is aligned in z while I think you want to have it aligned with
x (the coordinate in which your target is 0.03cm thick). Just by chance
you get also interactions in the target since the beam is 2x2cm wide..

Please note that there is no explicit recoil production on carbon. Thus
(after having removed the air) when assigning hydrogen to your target you
get exactly 50% neutron and 50% proton produced per primary as it should
be. When assigning poly to the target, the neutron fraction goes up also
due to the fact that there is no recoil treatment for scattering on
carbon.

Cheers
Stefan