Re: optical photon production

From: Nicholas Bolibruch <nicholas.bolibruch_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2012 11:08:06 -0600

Hi Francesca, I have done some work with optical photons in the past.

If you're looking to create visible light in your scintillator at 423 nm,
you want to enter 4.23E-5 cm in the wavelength entries for the OPT-PROD and
OPT-PROP cards. I noticed you entered in 0.00423 instead.

After changing the scintillator assigned material of PLASCINT to something
default, such as PMMA, and modifying the OPT-PROD/OPT-PROP cards to the
proper wavelengths, the optical photons appear in the USRBIN.

So the issue either lies how the material was defined or a bug in Fluka
when it attempts to assign optical properties to a material number.

Hope that helps.

Nicholas Bolibruch

Canadian Light Source Inc. <http://www.lightsource.ca/>

Instrumentation Analyst

Controls & Instrumentation Development

+1 306 657 3643

On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 10:03 AM, Francesca Fiorini <
francesca.fiorini_at_oncology.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

> Dear Fluka users,
>
> I am trying to simulate the production of scintillation photons from a
> BC400 scintillator immerse in water and irradiated by a proton beam. Since
> this is my first simulation with optical photons I (more or less) followed
> the example in section 12.2.4 of the manual, but apparently something is
> missing or wrong in my input, because there is no light production or at
> least I cannot detect any optical photon from usrbin or any other scoring
> card. Could anyone help? The input file is attached.
>
> Many thanks
> Francesca
>
> P.S.: So far I kept the Cherenkov light generation off, but once the
> simulation works I am going to activate that too.
>
> Dr Francesca Fiorini
> Gray Institute for Radiation Oncology and Biology
> Old Road Campus Research Building
> Off Roosevelt Drive
> University of Oxford
> Oxford, OX3 7DQ