Re: Time out error in geometry

From: Vittorio Boccone <boccone_at_cern.ch>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 22:38:08 +0100

Dear Marzi,

from the logical point of view (and in a ideal world) your geometry
would be well defined.... but...
the BOX and WED bodies are dangerous beasts and must be used really very
carefully (by the way the use of ARB, RAW, WED, BOX bodies is
deprecated. In principle we suggest not use them because they can cause
rounding problems expecially in the case of touching surfaces)

In primis I suggest you to take a look at the combinatorial geometry
lecture from our last beginner's course at Jefferson Lab:
https://www.fluka.org/free_download/course/jlab2012/Lectures/05_Geometry_0412.pdf

Coming to you problem; you actually don't need the BOXes in your
geometry and you can replace all of them easily with RPPs.
The hexagonal shape you would like to simulate can be obtained (for
example) by using an RPP cut by 4 planes.

Anyway in order of appearance in the input file I see several possible
show-stoppers in the description of your simulation.
- touching bodies: the WEDs and the inner BOXes are touching thus
creating a problem in the boundaries between them.
- huge parenthesis expansion: you have a HUGE parenthesis expansion to
define a simple region "EXTRA" which is absolutely redundant (even
using the WED and BOX bodies) and whose expansion might lead to long
initialization times (as in your case probably)

You can have the "EXTRA" region defined as:

+B3 -B4 -B5 -B6 -B7 -B8 -B9 -B10 -B11 -B12 -B13
|+W10 |+W11 |+W12 |+W13 |+W14 |+W15 |+W15|+W16 |+W17 |+W18 |+W19
|+W20 |+W21 |+W22 |+W23 |+W24 |+W25 |+W25|+W26 |+W27 |+W28 |+W29
|+W30 |+W31 |+W32 |+W33 |+W34 |+W35 |+W35|+W36 |+W37 |+W38 |+W39
|+W40 |+W41 |+W42 |+W43 |+W44 |+W45 |+W45|+W46 |+W47 |+W48 |+W49

Still if you really really want to use them (I still strongly discourage
you, but sometimes you have to deal with them) one has to be sure to
extend them a bit such a way they overlap with another body (but again
better not a ARB, RAW, WED, BOX) so that the definition of the region
will be unique and the particle will always be in a defined regions.

If you need a repetitive structure try lattices, or eventually you can
write a small script which create your bodies and regions (but this
option need a bit of coding capabilities from your side). I didn't quite
understand what exactly you have to run (if you go a bit more in details
maybe we can help you a bit more)

Best regards
Vittorio

--
Dr. Vittorio Boccone - University of Geneva
o Address: