RE: magfld.error

From: Anton Lechner <Anton.Lechner_at_cern.ch>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2013 11:02:03 +0000

2013 12:02:18 +0100 (CET)
Sender: owner-fluka-discuss_at_mi.infn.it

Dear Leila,

Please note that the first argument passed to GEON2R must be 8 characters (meaning that blanks must be explicitly filled if region names are shorter than 8 char). In your case, you specified the region names as "QuadrA " and "QuadrAA " and hence the region names were not recognized (GEON2R returned -1 instead of a valid region number). A solution would be to define a CHARACTER*8 variable, assign the region name to the variable (even if the name is less than 8 characters, the rest is automatically filled with blanks) and then pass this variable to GEON2R. Then the magnetic fields work correctly.

Example:
CHARACTER*8 REGNAM
REGNAM = 'QuadrA'
CALL GEON2R(REGNAM,NQUADRA,IERR)

Besides that, there is a typo in the routine: it is written NERG instead of NREG in the ELSE IF statement.

Please note, that Flair provides the useful functionality to plot the magnetic field as a cross check: first, under the "Plot" section included in the left menu, create a "Geometry" plot. Then set the "Center" coordinates to be located somewhere within the magnetic field (in your case, eg. z=160 cm) and if needed adjust the "Extends" to cover the area of your magnetic field region. Finally, select in "Type" either "Field intensity" or "Field vector".

Cheers, Anton