Re: shielding for 10 MeV neutrons

From: Francesco Cerutti <Francesco.Cerutti_at_cern.ch>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 10:46:20 +0100

Dear Saneesh

the exercise refers to a 3.5GeV proton beam impinging on a multilayer
target (H2O-Al-Pb). You will always get a charged hadron - actually
proton - fluence peak at beam energy, especially pronounced if you look at
the boundary between the first layers (from H2O to Al, or even from Al to
Pb). Indeed this is also shown on slide 19 of the scoring lecture (I'm
referring in particular to the material of the last beginner course,
http://www.fluka.org/fluka.php?id=course&sub=program&navig=2&which=jlab2012),
where you have not to miss the red/green points on the top right corner of
the plot. Still I do not understand the units adopted on your vertical
axis (by the way the colour palette does not apply to a single variable
curve)

Kind regards

Francesco

Francesco Cerutti