Re: Thermal Neutrons Response via PPAC-Detector

From: Alberto Fasso' <fasso_at_SLAC.Stanford.EDU>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 01:19:44 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Dr. M. Jamil and Kim Hyun Gee,

you said:

> Actually the problem, we have with LIF-converter is; we can?t use it in FLUKA,
> as LIF is compound material.

So what? Define the compound material defining separately 6-Li and F by
means of the MATERIAL command, and then the compound using the command
COMPOUND.
The section of the Fluka Manual you are quoting is completely irrelevant here,
since it refers to pre-mixed compounds that are not available at this time.
Since a pre-mixed compound is not available, use a normally mixed compound as
explained above.

As a default, charged fragments produced by thermal neutrons are not
transported: that is why you "see" them at the gas-gap where they are
produced, but not at the PPAC's gas gap. But for 6-Li it is possible to
make an exception by requesting pointwise cross sections: use LOW-NEUT
command with WHAT(6) = 1. (Leave all other WHATs = 0).
In this way, 3-H and 4-He will be transported and will be detected far
from the production point.

Alberto