Re: Thermal analysis of power deposited in a beam dump - using info from usrbin

From: Vittorio Boccone <Vittorio.Boccone_at_cern.ch>
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2013 09:25:04 +0000

Hi Mina,
   we convert the 3D USRBIN to ASCII and then import them in FEM programs using external programs or a scripts.

Depending of the FEM code you use (not sure about Cosmos) you might need to decide how to split the energy deposited
in the USRBIN to the different nodes. This is a very important step, as a particular cure must be done to align the
USRBIN mesh to the FEM one, especially in the case the two meshes do not match exactly, which is very common in case of small
mechanical details which are sometimes not modelled in FLUKA.

Recently we also coupled successfully the FLUKA results with LS-DYNA using a Matlab script to import/export the data from LS-DYNA.

About ANSYS... here there is an example of the code needed to convert the USRBIN in a different format which compatible with the program used at CERN to import the FLUKA energy deposition in ANSYS.

http://www.fluka.org/web_archive/earchive/new-fluka-discuss/2666.html

I don't know if this code is available to external user under some type of licence.
I'll check and let you know.
Best regards
Vittorio

--
Dr. Vittorio Boccone - University of Geneva
o Address: