Re: Total energy deposited by neutrons and protons

From: Alberto Fasso' <fasso_at_mail.cern.ch>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 14:53:46 +0200

Dear Saneesh,

the total energy deposited in the medium is what is shown directly
by the results you report:
"The results shows that total energy deposited by all particles
is 5.63121 MeV".

Neutron and proton energies are NOT, as you say, of common origin.
Proton energy deposition is not attributed to the neutron who produced
the proton recoil, it is attributed only to the proton.
Neutron energy deposition (in FLUKA, calculated via kerma factors) is
due to all neutron-produced charged particles (except protons, which are
handled apart). And since in your problem there is boron, a large part
of the neutron energy deposition is due to the alpha and the 7Li particles
emitted in neutron capture by 10B.
Only by chance are the two energies (2.59 and 2.67 MeV) of similar
size (I have cut down on the decimal figures, don't forget that there are
statistical errors).
Their sum is about 5.26 MeV. The total energy (5.63 MeV) is slightly (7%)
larger, because there are also capture gamma rays that you have not
taken into account.

Alberto