Re: O-16(gamma, alpha)C-12 and N-14(gamma,p)C-13 cross sections below 9MeV

From: Mina Nozar <nozarm_at_triumf.ca>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 18:35:55 -0700

<alpine.LRH.2.00.1307170218120.10590_at_yakut16.slac.stanford.edu>,<51F031F9.2060308_at_triumf.ca>
<763A1B33E3762946B3C1AF1464B94E500168553B9D72_at_EXCHCLUSTER1-02.win.slac.stanford.edu>
Sender: owner-fluka-discuss_at_mi.infn.it

Dear Alberto,

Thank you for the information. I must admit, I have not been reading
the RELEASE notes in the past few installation.

- Is there a way to estimate how much an underestimation we are talking
about?
- Is it possible to estimate when present fission models will be
integrated into FLUKA?

Thank you and best wishes,
Mina

On 13-07-25 02:23 AM, Fasso, Alberto wrote:
> Dear Mina,
>
> I hate to say it, but at this moment photofission is not handled very well in FLUKA.
> In the Release Notes which are distributed with the code, there is the following
> statement:
>
> - There is a known issue with photofission: the photonuclear interaction
> model is not up-to-date with respect to the present fission model.
> As a result, photofission can be heavily underestimated at low photon
> energies for fissile materials. A fix is in progress and it will be
> included in a future patch release.
>
> I hope that this problem will be solved soon.
>
> The models used in the code to calculate total photo-nuclear reactions are
> shortly described in the attached paper, which was presented at the 8th Int. Conf. on
> Radiation Shielding, Arlington (Texas) Apr. 24-28 (1994). What is described in the paper,
> is the initial excitation of the nucleus by the photon. The de-excitation which follows
> is handled by the usual FLUKA hadronic models, that you find described in some
> papers listed on the FLUKA website:
> http://www.fluka.org/fluka.php?id=publications&mm2=3
> Nuclear models in FLUKA: present capabilities, open problems and future improvements
> F. Ballarini et al.
> The physics models of FLUKA: status and recent developments
> A. Fassò et al.
> Unfortunately the publication database has not been updated since 2004: perhaps some
> of my colleagues will be able to point you to some more recent articles.
>
> About your last question: "What do the "All, Spalltion, and Low Energy" settings mean in the
> context of photo-induced reactions with the RESNUCLE card?", the answer is that the
> meaning of "Low Energy" concerns only neutrons, which, as you know, in FLUKA are
> transported in a special way. So, "All" and "Spallation" are equivalent for photon-produced
> nuclei (in the same way as for all other particles except low-energy neutrons).
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Alberto

>>> 2. If we determine that the cross-sections in FLUKA significantly differ