Re: Plots with high quality

From: Vittorio Boccone <Vittorio.Boccone_at_cern.ch>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2013 10:34:04 +0000

Hi Eleni,
  you probably have very high standard for plot's aesthetics. I know, once you have
a plot in a vectorial format the rest is on your tools and fantasy.

  for Flair:
  - plotting geometry with Flair (not Geoedit) will allow you to produce an eps file which you can turn into a pdf.
  - For the Flair USRBIN/USRTRACK/etc. part, I personally use ROOT for most of my 1/2D plot non involving geometries.
  for Geoedit
  - no vectorial graphics sorry… (maybe this will added in future). One of the drawback of raytracing.
  - an hint maximise the layout you are interest before exporting the layout to a png. Convert it into jpg by yourself
    using your preferred OS and keeping the quality to the best. Having a 1000x600 png file will not look bad at all
    in a paper but most probably you won't be able to make a two column fig out of it. We should probably add an in
    future an option to save a custom "virtual" layer of a used defined dimension.

    AFAIK a resolution of >300 dpi is a must for all the journals, few others request 600dpi.
    Never heard of more unless it's an photo where details are important.

Best
  V.

--
Dr. Vittorio Boccone - University of Geneva
o Address: