[fluka-discuss]: Re: How to calculate activation cross sections with FLUKA

From: Francesco Cerutti <Francesco.Cerutti_at_cern.ch>
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2013 12:11:02 +0100

Dear Oyeon,

please send your questions to the dedicated mailing list here in cc
(which you have to have registered) and not privately.

Your guess is not correct: to calculate specific reaction channels, FLUKA
does not use precomputed cross sections but its own models (PEANUT in case
of single hadron - like neutron - induced reactions). However, low energy
(<20MeV) neutrons represent an exception: in this case residue production
- and neutron transport - is calculated according to library data, that
you can access through the printing flag of the LOW-NEUT card.
Note that the use of FLUKA is not intended to extract microscopic cross
sections, rather to calculate - with respect to your example -
radionuclide yields/activity for a specific geometry.

Kind regards

FrancEsco

Francesco Cerutti
CERN-EN/STI