Re: [fluka-discuss]: muon production frm gamma conversion or positron annhilation

From: Lewis Keller <keller_at_SLAC.Stanford.EDU>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2013 02:52:26 -0800

Hi Alberto,

For the very special case where the positron beam is near the fixed
target threshold of 43.7 GeV for two-muon production AND the target
is only a few tenths of a radiation length so that the EM shower
hasn't fully developed, this process is more than two orders of
magnitude larger than Bethe-Heitler production for muon laboratory
momenta of about half the beam energy.

Right now I don't have a scholarly reference, but I'm attaching a
short .pdf file showing the formula for the muon production cross
section as a function of the positron beam energy. At fixed target
threshold the total cross section is about two microbarns. The cross
section is maximum at threshold and falls as one over the square of
the center-of-mass beam energy (as those who have worked at
e+e- colliders are familiar).

This process is in MUCARLO but it needs the positron track length for
the beam energy and target being studied. So one first needs to get
the positron track length (and photon track length if needed for
Bethe-Heitler production) from FLUKA and transfer that to MUCARLO.
If you want I can send that part of the FORTRAN code from MUCARLO.

Lew