RE: [fluka-discuss]: Interpretation of cross section and yield from USRYIELD

From: Anton Lechner <Anton.Lechner_at_cern.ch>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2013 19:42:15 +0000

Dear Lee,

You can interpret the values you specify (from the summary file created with USYSUW) as follows: for example, the differential yield of 0.1 GeV^-1 you get in the energy interval 0-0.01 GeV simply means that 0.1 GeV^-1*0.01GeV=1E-03 neutrons with E<10 MeV were produced in inelastic hadronic interactions within your entire geometry (also in the surrounding air). Of course this is consistent with the value you got for the larger energy interval, since most neutrons are below 10 MeV.

From the link you included in your file, I guess that you are only interested in neutrons produced in following reaction:
p + O18 -> F18 + n

If this is the case, you should not forget that a non-negligible fraction of neutrons also emerge from other processes, e.g.:
p + O18 -> O17 + n + p
p + O18 -> N14 + n + alpha

USRYIELD will count all neutrons, also those from the latter interactions.

If you are only interested in the first reaction, you could for example use USDRAW in the MGDRAW user routine. By including
'(RESNUC)', you have access to the atomic and mass number of the residual nucleus and you can filter neutrons accordingly. I included some sample code below.

Cheers, Anton

* Check that incoming particle is a proton and that interaction is inelastic:
      IF ( JTRACK .EQ. 1 .AND. ICODE .EQ. 101 ) THEN

* Check that residual nucleus is F18:
         IF( ICRES .EQ.9 .AND. IBRES .EQ.18 ) THEN

* Loop over all secondaries
             DO 99 INMB = 1, NP

* Check that secondary particle is a neutron
                IF ( KPART( INMB ) .EQ. 8 ) THEN
 * Here you might want to write to a file e.g. the neutron energy TKI (INMB ) or simply count neutrons
                ENDIF

 99 CONTINUE

        ENDIF
      ENDIF