RE: [fluka-discuss]: Is it possible to calculate water ionization by FLUKA?

From: Anton Lechner <Anton.Lechner_at_cern.ch>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2014 10:29:54 +0000

Dear Vahan,

I would like to point you to a recent discussion on the FLUKA list:
http://www.fluka.org/web_archive/earchive/new-fluka-discuss/5991.html
In short, condensed history Monte Carlo codes like FLUKA do not describe all individual ionization events, but ionization losses are described to be continuous along charged particle steps. Hence, there is also no direct scoring which gives you the produced ions (however for some applications, e.g. dosimetry, it could be suitable to score directly the energy deposition).

Cheers, Anton