Re: [fluka-discuss]: RE: Delta-ray production

From: Alfredo Ferrari <alfredo.ferrari_at_cern.ch>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2014 10:43:31 +0100

Dear Anna

surely it would be better to use the PRECISIOn default for your specific
problem and to activate explicitly for the Au-Au case both ElectroMagnetic
dissociation and heavy ion direct pair production (look at the PHYSICS
card for both).

The "step" that you see in the electron spectrum for the Au-Au case is
likely due to the different weigth of two components, a) the delta-rays
emitted by the ions, whose end-point is exactly where you see the "step"
as you can compute yourself, and b) the e-e+ coming from pi0 production
and gamma conversion or anyway more in general from nuclear interactions.

Both components exist for p-Au too, but the delta-ray component scales
like Z^2 (79^2) while the nuclear component scales with something
like A^2/3 -> ergo for the p-Au case the delta-ray component is much
smaller in a relative sense

                         Ciao
                        Alfredo

| Alfredo Ferrari || Tel.: +41.22.76.76119 |
| CERN-EN/STI || Fax.: +41.22.76.69474 |
| 1211 Geneva 23 || e-mail: Alfredo.Ferrari_at_cern.ch |
| Switzerland || |