[fluka-discuss]: What (1) parameter of BEAM

From: Helmut Vincke <Helmut.Vincke_at_cern.ch>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2014 16:46:09 +0000

Dear FLUKA users and authors

Can someone provide me with a bit more information about the mandatory need of WHAT(1) of the BEAM card (in case I sample my primary particles via a source.f routine). The manual says:

(command BEAM<http://www.fluka.org/fluka.php?id=man_onl&sub=12> not requested): not allowed! The WHAT(1) value of the

              BEAM<http://www.fluka.org/fluka.php?id=man_onl&sub=12> command is imperatively required, in order to set up the

              maximum energy of cross-section tabulations.

What kind of cross sections are tabulated and how does it refer to the energy/momentum set in WHAT(1)?

Is it a problem for the accuracy of the run when setting the WHAT(1) to 100 TeV and sampling primary particles only in the GeV range? I would be grateful if you could give me some indications if the granularity of the cross-section tabulation is a function of the WHAT(1) parameter or if a higher WHAT(1) value just increases the number of cross sections tabulated for the run.
Thanks in advance.

Best regards
Helmut