Re: [fluka-discuss]: How to know the energy thresholds for electron and photon

From: Alberto Fasso <fasso_at_mail.cern.ch>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2014 14:36:13 +0100

My answer is in two parts:

1) You SHOULD use the EMFCUT cards (two cards, one with SDUM=PROD-CUT
to define the PRODUCTION thresholds by material, and one without SDUM
- i.e., SDUM blank - to define the TRANSPORT thresholds by region).
Why don't you want to use them?

2) the thresholds are printed in the standard output (the one with
the .out extension).
Look for the line:
Quantities/Biasing associated with each media:

it is followed by the following quantities for each material:
       Ae = electron/positron production cutoff energy in MeV
          (careful: electron TOTAL energy, i.e. kinetic energy
          plus 0.51099906 MeV)
       Ap = photon production cutoff energy in MeV

After this information, you find the line:
Correspondence of regions and EMF-FLUKA material numbers and names:

followed by the following quantities for each region:
       Ecut = electron/positron transport cutoff in MeV
          (careful: electron TOTAL energy, i.e. kinetic energy
          plus 0.51099906 MeV)
       Pcut = photon transport cutoff energy in MeV

But I repeat: the best way is to take control of those values by using
the two EMFCUT cards.

Alberto